It's Amazing How Easy it is to Make Your Own Perfume!



 I said this before in my post about lavender essential oil: I wanted to find a way to make it portable. So I came up with the idea of making solid perfume. I knew it was probably more simple than the ingredients on the ones you buy at the store say. I wanted it to be 100% bad-chemical free. I say "bad-chemical" because actually everything is made out of chemicals so it would be unfair for me to say it needed to be "100% chemical free."
   The recipe I found required almond oil, which I didn't have. However, on more research of carrier oils (which is what almond oil is), I realized there was quite a lot that I could work with.  I do suggest always following a recipe you haven't made yet unless, you have a general knowledge of what you're working with. Thankfully, before I could do any "fail fast"-ing with substitutions, mom came home from a visit to Whole Foods with some almond oil!
   You can see the one I bought the second to the middle on the right.  They come from the fatty portion of a plant, therefore called a vegetable oil. They can be used dilute essential oils that are too strong to apply on large areas of skin. I only needed to use a little bit, because of course I needed something to carry the lavender to the skin. If I had used only beeswax, my "solid" perfume would be as hard as a rock!

   Beeswax is like any other wax; it is extremely hard to clean. And, I know this from experience. Scraping frozen wax caked on to the curly victorian candle sticks was not a fun jurisdiction. Neither was wiping it off in semi-solid form (another method of cleaning that is just as bad) off of a mason jar! Everybody says (at least what I read) that you should just have your separate utensils, tools, and pots for these kind of projects. But, if you are like me, it might just be a passing inspiration that's not going to turn into a lifetime career! 
   Here are some tips and tricks that I used.
  • Instead of melting it in a pot, I used a glass salsa jar that we had saved. You can use it in the microwave or double boiler, and I've done both.
  • Keep everything very clean and tidy!!! If anything spills, don't wait to wipe it up; do it right away. 
  • Instead of using fabric or washable materials, use paper products so that you can just dispose of it and never see that beeswax you spilled on the stove again.
  • Don't try to clean anything dry, unless on fabric, because then you have to rub it with ice and pick it off.
  • Use as little tools as possible, and little you do use, should be metal or heat-safe. This is because you don't want to be cleaning a whole lot of them, and when you do, it's with heat.
  • To get the wax off your tools when you are done, boil water in a pot that will fit everything. Meanwhile, use a paper towel to wipe them down. Stick anything that is heat-safe into the hot water and set the timer for 5-10 minutes. Once you see the wax floating on the top, not stuck to the tools, you can remove and run water over them. Give them another wipe and pop them into the dishwasher for good measure! (If you don't have them, just thoroughly clean them with a rag you want to throw away and lots of soap.)
  • So basically keep this in mind "The less mess in the first place, and boiling water as your cleaning base; it will be gone without a trace."

   Even though its seems like a big pain to use beeswax at all, I still suggest it because it has many benefits. First of all, it temperately relieves itching and dry skin, but won't clog pores like petroleum jelly. This is why you find beeswax as a common ingredient in natural lip balms. When mixed with lavender oil, (which I had to do a whole post on because of its amazingness) you can imagine what a superhero it can be. That is another reason why I wanted to use beeswax and lavender oil.
   Second of all, its protective. There are so many things out there that get into your skin and give you all kind of bumps and rashes. With beeswax, that's a thing of the past! It also holds in moisture unlike different skin cleansing potions you get to protect your face. It's also hypoallergenic, so it won't irritate sensitive skin.
   One other pro is that it feels good. It isn't oily or drying like most products that do all these awesome things. When you buy it organic and in a hunk, you get a 100% natural from-the-earth all purpose ninja substance!
   I made a video about how I did it after I was finished to give a visual because with all these words it can get a bit complicated. You can see all the ingredients I used and where I found those adorable little containers. Later, I designed a label that is not shown in any of the earlier pictures or video. You can see it below too.




Here is a version you can download and use yourself if you want:

This is my recipe derived from various ones I saw, along with things I added from experience along the way:

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons of almond oil or other carrier oil
1 teaspoon 100% beeswax
6-10 drops of essential oil of your choice, more or less depending on how you like it
Small containers, here is the link to the ones I bought:  Beauticom 5G/5ML High Quality Clear Plastic Cosmetic Container Jars with Screw Cap Lids (Quantity: 25pcs)

Directions:
  1. Put oil and wax in a small reused glass jar that you can throw away or use for more wax projects later.
  2. Microwave 30 seconds at a time till beeswax melted, stirring after each time interval.
  3. Remove and add essential oils.
  4. Stir well. If you don't, each container will have different strengths of scent.
  5. Pour into containers and let harden. Once hardened twist on cap and enjoy!
So that's how I made this fabulous solid perfume that is completely natural and has more benefits than any chemical-laden body scent you could ever buy!

Comments

Post a Comment

Most Loved Posts:

Pumpkin Streusel Bundt Cake

Downtown Chicago Pictures+Touring German Cousin Around...

Nature is God's Canvas