Pumpkin Streusel Bundt Cake


I couldn't stop eating this, so I quickly portioned out pieces to send home with my guests after we all ate our share. Of course, they loved it. Why? It wasn't so sweet that a vegan could only eat one square inch before launching into a diabetic coma! Originally, the recipe was only lightly dusted with a fraction of a teaspoon of powdered sugar. And you know, that ain't gonna cut it for me! I knew it wouldn't be as tasty without some other flavor and texture to top it with.
Therefore, I made a streusel.
It was different from ones I had made before, because you used melted butter and then mixed it in the already-warm pan that you heated it with.
What?
Tried it anyway. Then, I had the splendid realization that it would fit perfectly with my bundt cake because it couldn't melt anymore that it already was in the oven.
Wait, don't you normally bake streusel? Ok, this is the deal. When you make a bundt cake, you flip it over, so whatever is on the bottom is actually on the top. I know, confusing. That means, you have to pour the batter over the streusel. So that means it needs to have good composition so it won't be absorbed or melted by the cake batter.
That make sense?
I hope so.


It looks a bit different too, but that's ok, because it tastes amazing with those oats added. Make the streusel first, because it's the first thing you put in, unlike other recipes ;-p

Streusel:

8 T Butter
1 c White flour
1/2 c Whole wheat flour 
1/2 c Brown sugar
1/4 t Salt
1 1/2 t Cinnamon
1/3 c Oats

Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan, then mix in the rest of the ingredients with a fork until you have pea-sized crumbs. 


Pumpkin Bundt Cake

1 1/2 c Sugar
1 c Oil
3 Eggs
3 c Flour
2 t baking soda
1 t Cinnamon (heaping!)
1 t Nutmeg 
1/2 t Salt
1/2 t cloves
1 15 oz can Pumpkin

Preheat the oven to 350 F, then combine sugar and oil in large bowl. Add each egg and beat well in-between. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl. Stir into egg/sugar/oil mixture, alternately with the pumpkin. 
Spread *streusel into a well-greased 10" bundt pan, then pour in batter evenly and smooth it out. Bake for 65 min until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then pop out gently onto a rack and let cool completely. 

*The recipe's above, but it's optional. You might want to make a simple glaze or dust it with powdered sugar if the streusel's excluded. 






I took a picture of it right when it came out, in case it cooled and looked different. It didn't though, so don't be getting your hopes up if it comes out with "mess" written all over it! Most likely, that won't happen unless you miss a step or ingredient.


Thankfully, I had a little helper with the streusel!


It's important that you spread it evenly over the bottom, but don't press it in or you'll have a streusel hat on the cake! 


Once you've done and finished, treat yourself to a piece! I had to wait overnight, so tragic...


Comments

  1. This really looks lovely. Nice photo work AND a yummy dessert!
    xoxo Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photography gets better and better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like a dish of just the streusel. No cake haha! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree the streusel is the best part ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so good and tasted great too! I would think the streusel would be messy, but it holds the shape of the bundt perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Loved Posts:

Downtown Chicago Pictures+Touring German Cousin Around...

Nature is God's Canvas

Fried Chicken+My Hilarious Mistake